Tuesday 18 May 2010

Modeling the interior

Using the plan images given to me by Husband and Carpenter I began to model the foundations of the interior using polygon primitives. I started by building a cub and subdividing it to the measurements of the room. I manipulated the vertices to create the exterior walls as well as the bathroom area.

I had some trouble at the beginning making the exterior walls. I think this was due to my lack of knowledge when extruding faces. For some reason when I extruded the faces it created geometry within the mesh which caused problems when I needed more subdivisions. I have an outdated version of maya, so this could have been the cause of the problem. I could only rectify the issue by deleting the internal geometry manually which was rather time consuming but necessary. 

I was pleased with the outcome as the shape was the right scale and matched the drawings perfectly. I now needed to start creating details within the model like the toilet, furniture and tiles. Chris concentrated his efforts on rendering the exterior scenes as well as making the bed, cabinets and bedside tables and the windows. Everything else was modeled by me.

I had a few problems when making the sink and bath tub as I did not know how to vreate organic geometry. I used the booleans tool to cut out sections that made up the recesses. I know realise that this causes problems in the geometry with illegal polygons which cause problems when rendering and texturing. 







No comments:

Post a Comment